Started Sep 15, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
brandrx
Forum ProPosts: 25,907
Like?
Canon FD lens to Pentax DSLR test.
Sep 15, 2011

Actually it is a test of the Canon FD to Pentax PK adapter.

I've been wondering about using a Canon FD lens on a Pentax DSLR. I am not going to go out and buy any Canon FD lenses so what I did was purchase a very cheap Tamron Adaptall 2 for Canon FD and a Canon FD lens to Pentax PK adapter.

...after all it is a test of the Canon FD/PK adapter itself that I was interested in.

I used a Tamron SP 400mm f4 for my tests.

What I found out.

• The Canon FD/PK adapter has the effect of about a 1.6X teleconverter.

• Contrast is low but can be corrected in processing.

• The images are not too bad.

• I removed the black paint in the area of where the Canon FD/PK adapter matches the Data pin of the Pentax DSLR. This allowed me to use catch-in-focusing and the use of the Pentax-F 1.7X AF Adapter.

• When used with the Pentax-F 1.7X AF Adapter I could do phase detect autofocus (PDAF) outside with the lens set to f5.

• When used with the Pentax-F 1.7X AF Adapter I could do contrast detect autofocus (CDAF) inside with the lens set to f5.6.

I do not recommend that you go out and purchase Canon FD lenses. However, if you already have access to a good prime (or primes) Canon FD then it might be worth the $30 to get an adapter and give it a try yourself. I have satisifed my own curiosity so now I am through with this.

Here is an image (and it's 100% crop) taken with the K-5 + Tamron SP 400mm f4 + Canon FD/Pk adapter + Pentax-F 1.7X AF Adapter, 1088mm with the lens set to f5.6. The subject is about 30 feet (9 meters) away. I used Liveview (CDAF). I have done my normal post-processing on these images.

;
Cheers.

Ron

-- hide signature --

Ron - 'We don't have time to go take pics this afternoon Carl.'
Carl - 'What do you mean? It will only take 1/1000s.'

'Keep your eyes looking forward. However, glance back now and then to see where you've come from. It will put a smile on your face.' ~ brandrx

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow