NEX 5N/7: Focus Speed? Close to DSLR? Or not?

Started Sep 15, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
vincentnyc
Senior MemberPosts: 2,585Gear list
Like?
NEX 5N/7: Focus Speed? Close to DSLR? Or not?
Sep 15, 2011

Dear All:

I'm very interested in the larger sensor and performance of the Sony NEX-5N and the upcoming NEX-7. In particular, as i'm most interested in street photography and pet photography, i care a great deal about focusing speed.

May I ask the good knowledgeable folks on this forum if the NEX5N and NEX7 are close to what a DSLR's focusing speed is? Or is it a lot slower? I know that the NEX cameras are contrast detection and not phase focusing, as DSLRs are. Still, I'd like to know if the NEX series are very very close to DSLR focusing speed.

I have a Nikon D700 and also a Canon S95. the S95 is very slow but very small so its handy to have. the D700 is simply too heavy to carry around for any period of time for me. Others can carry it a long time but it is too heavy for me for an extended period.

thanks so much in advance! look forward to the educational replies/comments.

vincentnyc's gear list:vincentnyc's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX100 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow