Snapshot vs Photograph - are there any good Snapshot principles and techniques?

Started Sep 15, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Alex Notpro
Contributing MemberPosts: 559Gear list
Like?
Snapshot vs Photograph - are there any good Snapshot principles and techniques?
Sep 15, 2011

While there is no firm definition of "snapshot" versus "photograph", it is a fact that most bloggers / writers / etc use "snapshot" as a derogatory term for bad photos. I have come up with my own definitions which are just the opposite:

A "Snapshot" is an image that captures and re-tells the story of a time period or point in time in a person's or family's history. Snapshots are usually irreplaceable.

A "Photograph" is a generic image you can find by Googling "free screensavers", browsing Flickr Interestingness Of The Day, or if you don't like free stuff, by visiting your local art gallery A lost photograph can almost always be replaced (re-taken), given enough time and money, by executing the same deliberate process as the original photographer.

Photojournalism is in a category of its own, and is exempted from my definitions too, just like most other people's definitions.

So. I want to take high-quality Snapshots which are not Photographs:

I will have a high-quality camera, a choice of 2 or 3 lenses, and external flash, but other than that I will be generally unprepared and will not be in full control of the lighting, the background surroundings, or the subjects. Photos will not be premeditated and planned ahead. Photos will be taken at a time and place incidental to other activities - generally not at the photographer's choosing.

Are there any blogs/forums/sites out there dedicated to this style of photography? I'm looking for ideas, principles, and techniques to improve the quality of my snapshots.

Thanks

Alex Notpro's gear list:Alex Notpro's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Leica Nocticron 42.5mm Apple iPhone 5s +11 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow