After much resisting, I think it's time to go m4/3.

Started Sep 14, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
murfthesurf
Contributing MemberPosts: 570Gear list
Like?
After much resisting, I think it's time to go m4/3.
Sep 14, 2011

I've been a DSLR (Canon 20D and 40D) user for years. I have been delighted with the performance and IQ that these cameras offer, but I grew tired of lugging around all that equipment to family events and decided to get a pocket camera. I chose the Sony DSC-W350, but it never really met my needs for speed and higher ISO IQ. I have a son who just turned 4 and the camera just couldn't keep up with him. Next I tried a Canon G12. This is a great little camera with outstanding IQ for a 1/1.7" sensor. I love the manual control and overall feel of the camera. It still has a couple traits though, that leave me wanting more. The size of the sensor yeilds shots with too wide of DOF at the widest aperture settings for my liking when shooting candid kid closeups and the AF speed is just a little slower than I was hoping.

I have been doing a lot of reading about m4/3 and the mirror-less APS-C systems and while the Sony NEX line is very appealing, I think the current line of available lenses are just too big to make it a compact alternative to a DSLR system. I have decided to give m4/3 a try hoping that the sensor is large enough to produce the DOF I desire and the overall performance is closer to that of a DSLR than a high end fixed lens camera. Since I'm not absolutely sure m4/3 will deliver what I want, I think I'm going to get a Olympus E-PL1 w/ 14-42 kit form B&H for $349.95. I see this as an economical way to see what m4/3 has to offer. If it's not for me, I can either resell it for little loss or even eat the $350, which I don't consider to be much for a camera system. If I like it, I'll continue to use it until new models with the next gen sensor are released.

Any thoughts or opinions about my plan would be much appreciated, especially from those that have been through a similar scenario.

Thanks,
Murf

-- hide signature --

• Murf

murfthesurf's gear list:murfthesurf's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN +1 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
GH1New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow