Started Sep 13, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Fawad
Junior MemberPosts: 47
Like?
Looking for: 24mm L & 35mm L Wide Open Portrait Samples
Sep 13, 2011

Can anyone share sample portraits done with a 24mm L or 35mm L shot at apertures bigger than F/2? Preferably wide open. I want to see what is in focus and what is not (what the DOF looks like at f/1.4-2).

Some background on my question:

I'm considering one of the two (probably the 24mm) because I recently had a shoot at an outdoor venue with very little light, and no real surface on which to bounce my flash off of so I had to shoot with my fastest lens & use it wide open (50mm 1.4). I did get enough decent shots but the DOF at 50mm @ F/1.4 on my 5D wasn't deep enough to always get everything I needed in focus.

I know that going wider increases DOF as does stepping back form your subject (so does stopping down the lens but that wasn't an option in low lighting). Using an online DOF calculator I found that using a 24mm @ 1.4 will give me about 12 feet for my plane of focus vs. the roughly 2 feet I was getting on my 50mm @ 1.4. I think I would have been able to get more sharp photos as well as squeeze this large group of people into my shots better if I had the 24mm 1.4 to use.

Thanks!

-- hide signature --
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow