My review of Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM

Started Aug 22, 2011 | Discussions thread
dtuason
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,410Gear list
Like?
Re: My review of Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM
In reply to Nelson Tan, Sep 13, 2011

This is an excellent review Nelson...and I love those shots...really nice!

They make me want to buy that nice lens! Thanks for sharing!

Cheers!

Danny Tuason

Nelson Tan wrote:

I've finished reviewing the Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM lens, and I must say that the performance is pretty impressive.

Full frame fisheye

Circular fisheye

Works really well for some interiors

Incredible sharpness for a fisheye lens, and solid flare resistance!

The Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM is not a lens for everyone, given its relatively high price tag and exotic focal lengths. However, it does feature superlative optics for a fisheye lens, so you do get very good results even at the extreme angles, which is quite a feat of optical engineering. The lens may seem bulkier and heavier than its predecessor (EF 15mm f/2.8), but given that it incorporates both a circular and full frame fisheye, it is actually two lenses in one and quite worth the premium in weight and size.

I started the review with the distinct feeling that I will be shooting more full-frame fisheye shots, but ended up with quite a lot of circular fisheye shots instead! I thought that the occasions for using a circular fisheye lens are very limited, but that turned out to be a misconception. It is more difficult to plan for a circular fisheye shot, but it is merely an additional step to retrain your eye. In many cases, the full frame is sufficient to capture the elements. In some cases though, having the circular fisheye option makes all the difference in the world.

The optical performance of the Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM is very good for a fisheye lens, especially at the 15mm end for full-frame fisheye images. There is excellent resolution for fine details, and tight control of contrast and flare suppression. Chromatic aberration is virtually non-existent, which is an impressive effort on the part of the optical engineers.

You can read my full review of the Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM at http://www.nelsontan.com/reviewspage/EF8-15mmf4LFisheyeUSM.html

-- hide signature --
-- hide signature --

http://www.pbase.com/dtuason

When people lose everything and they have nothing left to lose, they lose it.

~ Gerald Celente

It is well that the people of the nation do not understand our banking and monetary system, for if they did, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.

~ Henry Ford

dtuason's gear list:dtuason's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 14mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow