Bye Pentax KX :-( for now :-)

Started Apr 10, 2011 | Discussions thread
math guy
Senior MemberPosts: 2,307Gear list
Like?
perspective
In reply to Miskec, Sep 13, 2011

First of all, this thread is about five months old, and I believe the OP has long since left the DSLR fold for a P&S. It may be true that much of his problems were from lack of understanding how to use a DSLR, but it is also true that the k-x's auto mode does not work well in low light with no flash. For reference, here are a couple of threads which discussed this months ago:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1036&message=38158733
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1036&message=37302838

Now, you may be saying who cares if auto mode works because a real photographer shouldn't be using that anyway. But there are several reasons why I think it should work well. First, sometimes beginners who are just learning how to use other modes still encounter situations where they just need a good shot whether they know how to properly get it or not. Second, there are times when you want to be able to hand your camera to someone who doesn't know how to use other modes and still have them end up with a nice shot. And third, because Pentax chose to put it on the camera. If it's not going to work well, then don't put it on there.

Here's the real kicker, though. Previous models worked better in auto mode with low light than the k-x does. Here's an explanation I gave in one of the threads above:

"The problem is that it uses too slow shutter speeds. With the DA70, it chose 1/50 sec. And with my kit lens, it chose 1/15 sec at 18mm and 1/40 sec at 55mm. Those are all one stop slower than they should be. With SR, that isn't too much of a problem, but it certainly shouldn't be designed that way.

Out of curiosity, I got out the K200D which I recently bought for my wife to learn on and checked out what it does in P mode. It used 1/40 sec at 18mm and 1/80 sec at 55mm. Then I checked out Auto mode, which is what the OP was talking about in the first place. And sure enough, the K200D chose a much more realistic shutter speed."

If it weren't for that, you might could claim that auto mode just isn't for low light shooting. But if it worked well on previous models, why should it work poorly on the k-x? And I believe it also works poorly on the k-r.

Honestly, this doesn't really have much affect on my personal shooting or on my overall view of the k-x (which I love). But I just thought I'd add some clarification since this thread has been resurrected.

-- hide signature --

-- Joe S.

"We make a living by what we get; we make a life by what we give." ~ Sir Winston Churchill

http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/josephschmitt

math guy's gear list:math guy's gear list
Pentax K-x Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow