RAW files display

Started Sep 12, 2011 | Discussions thread
William Porter
Senior MemberPosts: 1,542Gear list
Like?
Re: RAW files display
In reply to Andre W, Sep 12, 2011

Andre W wrote:

That said - you do know (?) - the thumbnail you view an the LCD, is NOT the RAW image - it's a Jpeg, processed in camera according to the settings you shot at. So, what you see on the LCD, will not necessarily be same when opened in a RAW converter - the RAW file is still unprocessed, while the Jpeg is.

I think Andre has the right answer. In fact, it is an old and quite common complaint from people who switch from shopping jpeg to shooting raw only that the raw files look "washed out" or blah. That's precisely because, as Andre says, the jpegs you get from the camera have been processed, while your raw file has not. We'll, that's not exactly right. In order for your computer to display the raw file, SOME "processing" must be done — the image has to be rendered, the software has to make a guess about color balance, etc. But good software generally does the minimum possible.

If you work with good software like Adobe Lightroom or Apple Aperture, it's easy to make quick adjustments to imported raw files. In Lightroom I find that something as simple as boosting the Clarity often does wonders. You can even create your own preset to apply the same adjustments to all imported photos, although I don't do that. I think it defeats the point of shooting raw, which is to have the greatest number of options in post.

In short, I suggest that you embrace this blah starting image and learn how to have fun turning it into a masterpiece.

Remember also, you can shoot jpeg + raw and only mess with the raw images when you really feel the need to.

Good luck,

Will

William Porter's gear list:William Porter's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow