Started Sep 12, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
fastlass
Junior MemberPosts: 25Gear list
Like?
common process for setting white balance
Sep 12, 2011

I finally picked up one of those white translucent plastic lens caps to set white balance on the spot (and I lost my lens cap the other day). I'm actually very impressed with the results. So much so it seems that given certain lighting conditions which I experience a lot and which AUTO WB is not so often dead-on for, I'll probably be setting white balance manually quite often. I'd like to think tho that a lot of folks are manually setting WB often as well.

Specifically I'll be taking shots at family gatherings, in a back yard or at a park or what not - under tree cover or a cloudy sky. Because the sun pokes in and out of the clouds and/or I'm moving around the action, the lighting can change every minute, so If I took a manual WB reading I'll need to take one moments later. This doesn't bother me too much however...

It seems that setting PRE on my D3000 is REALLY hidden in the menus. I like to simplify my processes to focus on shooting, and having the 1 Fn button works nicely for choosing preset WB (which I don't have so much faith in now) or ADL on/off. But unless I'm missing something, it's 3-4 presses, from the menu button (not the "?" button) to set WB.

I checked that the D7K/D90 (and above) have a dedicated WB button, that's the solution, right? Do any entry-level cameras have a way to set WB without digging into the menus? I'm not contemplating switching of course, but I'm curious if my process is wrong or an outlier.

And thanks but no thanks to everyone who suggests I just set WB in PP.

fastlass's gear list:fastlass's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus 9mm F8 Fish-Eye Body Cap Lens
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow