why are macs touted as the go-to media computer instead of windows?

Started Sep 12, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jj74e
Senior MemberPosts: 1,633
Like?
why are macs touted as the go-to media computer instead of windows?
Sep 12, 2011

To be honest, I do prefer the UI of macs better than windows. the dock, the spaces, the corners, the very smooth touchpad and multi-touch gestures- all very good. however, they're just overpriced and i feel like apple products are becoming a status symbol rather than a bang-for-your-buck good deal. i am basing this off my of 2009 white macbook, who's power adapter has gone bad (which i had to pay a replacement for), and whose wrist rest area plastic has broken off without any abnormal use (which they did fix for free after i showed them numerous online threads about how widespread the problem was), and the hardware itself isn't that great for a 1k computer- integrated graphics, TINY hard drive (111.47 GB), and only 2 GB of RAM.

considering how many windows laptops there are out there with better hardware (I've seen sub $800 laptops with 500gb hard drives, 4gb of ram, a 1gb dedicated graphics card, and great battery life) and much lower prices, i'd be willing to sacrifice the small inconveniences of the windows OS in order to get a better deal on the computer itself.

don't get me wrong- again, i love the OS of macs (the only that annoys me was that they place all their X buttons, minimize buttons, etc. on the left side- the only reason i can see they did that is to differentiate themselves from windows, but honestly it's just a pain if you often use windows and mac). but i just feel like for the hardware, it's overpriced.

back to my original question, what makes macs the recommended media computer? to me, the UI isn't THAT great enough that I'd spend a few extra hundred bucks to get worse hardware. after all, better hardware lets you run more things smoothly, and that's just as important in media applications as is a smooth UI.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow