One Lens Kit to France - what was I thinking?

Started Sep 10, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
TheTeh
Senior MemberPosts: 2,275Gear list
Like?
One Lens Kit to France - what was I thinking?
Sep 10, 2011

OK, here is my experience of a 1 week trip to south France - Montpellier and surrounding areas - with just the D7K+24G. Originally, I wanted to take another lens (60mm G - the longest I have at the moment) with me but last minute I thought what the heck, just gave it a go with one lens and see how it goes.

The Kit

First of all, the 24G is a big and heavy lens but fortunately D7K is small so the overall combo is OK. However, I wished it was lighter and smaller. To make the combo easy to take in and out of my shoulder bag, I use a hand strap on the D7K instead of the neck strap. No lens hood and no lens cap but the lens has a hoya filter on at all times. It would have been much heavier if it was a D700. The good thing is that the FOV is 36mm on the D7K so it is effectively a normal lens at f1.4. I use it only at f1.4 (the very reason for buying a f1.4 lens!) even at bright sun light!

Shooting Experience

I really enjoy the FOV for general walk around and scenery, especially good for architecture which this lens is fantastic in correcting distortion. For street photography, I often wished it was longer but it forces me to go up closer to the subject and the results I got have a special 'personal' feel to them. For environmental portraits and interior, I often wished I had a FF body for this lens to get the true 24mm FOV. What I really missed was a long lens (> 100mm, eg. 105mm DC, 135mm DC or even a 200mm lens) for wildlife and portraits.

My Conclusion

As I am rather lazy to change lens in the field, I have no regrets for using this one lens kit. I will do it again for visiting cities/towns/villages but I will certainly take another tele lens for nature/wildlife shots (I am currently looking to buy a 105DC lens). At times I thought I should have bought the DX 18-200mm lens for outdoor day time travel use but I am worried about its image quality having been spoilt by using only primes especially the 24mmG lens. Anyway...below are some samples although not to everyone tastes for using f1.4 for all scenes...any comments welcome!

-- hide signature --

Explore The Immortal Mind...
http://www.theteh.com/

TheTeh's gear list:TheTeh's gear list
Canon EOS 500D Nikon D7000 Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +8 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow