Best Macro Flash Unit for Pentax F2.8 100MM WR?

Started Sep 10, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
JeffAHayes
Senior MemberPosts: 1,919Gear list
Like?
Best Macro Flash Unit for Pentax F2.8 100MM WR?
Sep 10, 2011

Hi folks.

I'm thinking, instead of treading into the deep water of lenses longer than the 55-300 for the time being -- especially since I really LOVE shooting macros -- I may get the 100mm F2.8 WR, instead (if you folks think it's worth the going price of $620 at Amazon).

When and if I do, I'm already WELL AWARE that a traditional flash unit can fall FAR SHORT of what we'd all prefer when shooting macros. Of course Pentax makes its own dedicated Macro flash, but it costs almost as much as that lens (and I just DON'T see paying that for a flash that isn't even very powerful).

Amazon has a unit under the Polaroid nameplate that's actually a "ring light," rather than a flash, meaning that when it's on, it's on -- but that lets you see what your lighting is BEFORE you shoot, so I kind of like the idea... Battery life isn't long, but I have LOADS of NiMh batteries, so that's not a problem. This particular model comes with adapters for a variety of lenses ranging all the way from 49 mm up to 72mm, and has 48 LEDs on it. You can have all 48 on at once, or just one or the other bank of 24 on at a time, which COULD be used to create shadows, if you want -- or perhaps compensate for too much/little light on just ONE SIDE of the Macro.

At any rate, here's a direct linik so you can take a look at it. They had some cheaper, and a few more expensive. But this looked like the best bet, to me, unless you get up into the expensive gear...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004ZGM5JE/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&m=A3SPLR0MSOYZ8O

There were NO reviews of this unit at Amazon, so I have NOTHING to base it on there, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's no good. I WOULD like to see what experienced Macro shooters who HAVE flashes and/or ring lights think about it -- and/or other products I might consider. I'm not in any big hurry, but all thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance!
Jeff
--
May the Blessings Be.

JeffAHayes's gear list:JeffAHayes's gear list
Pentax WG-3 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-30 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM +8 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow