Started Sep 10, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
eques
Senior MemberPosts: 1,695Gear list
Like?
Power Zoom versus Manual Zoom in stills pgotography
Sep 10, 2011

Power zooming, coming from P&S and from video has finally reached mFT.
So I think it should be discussed here or were there earlier threads?

Personally I have made experiences with PZ only with my late P&S Canon. Perhaps the feature was badly implemented there, but with my Panasonic zoom lens I now enjoy the difference:

Finally zooming is accurate and fast, and it is MZ! For me as a stills photographer, PZ is like a plague finally reaching the, as I thought, safe harbour.

IMO PZ cannot be compared with AF, because in roughly 80% of my (!) photographs I have to adjust the zoom. When it comes to AF, I still have the choice to switch to MF or cange the AF mode.

I know, PZ and MF switches help reducing sizes, so if this is tantamount for you, the new Panasonic standard zoom makes sense; the tele lens makes sense only for video people - if switches and zooming motor don't make any sounds.

My verdict is, PZ for the whole of stills photography is like AF for macro photography: useless or even annoying.

eques's gear list:eques's gear list
Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS +1 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow