NEWBIE! Nikon D90, D5100, Canon 50D, or XSi??

Started Sep 9, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
taylorman22
Forum MemberPosts: 56
Like?
NEWBIE! Nikon D90, D5100, Canon 50D, or XSi??
Sep 9, 2011

OK, so I know that my subject line shows quite a range of cameras. I'm a total newbie when it comes to photography. I used to do it in high school and really enjoyed it and now 20 years later I'm wanting to start it up again. I'm selling some electric guitar gear to buy a camera and funds are going to be tight, so I want to make the most of every dollar I spend.

I'm looking to buy a camera that I can grow in to, but I'm really torn between these models. The main reason I'm looking at these is because I've found good local deals for these and they are affordable. I'm looking to just shoot pics of the family, possibly some formal outdoor family portraits, as well as some landscape shots. I'm really after the family shots with the blurred background. For that I really want a 50mm 1.8 prime lens. As for video, I don't really care about that. I already have another camera that I really like for video.

Anyway, here's what my options are here locally. What do you guys recommend based on cost, camera quality, and fitting my needs. I don't really want to buy something that I'll be frustrated with in 6 months because I've outgrown it. The Nikon D7000 is my first choice, but it's just too much money right now and I need to start somewhere.

1. Used Nikon D90, 18-105 kit lens, 50mm prime, SB-600 flash, camera bag. $900

2. Used Canon 50D, 18-55 lens. $700

3. Used Canon XSi, EFS 18-55mm IS lens, EFS 55-250mm IS zoom lens, extra battery and charger, camera bag. $400

4. New Nikon D5100, 18-55 VR lens. $800

All of the used cameras are in near mint/new condition.

So, based on the type of shots I'm wanting, what do you recommend? I'd really like to keep my cost around $750, but could stretch to the cost of the D90 if it's really worth it.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow