Started Sep 8, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
cgarrard
Forum ProPosts: 14,342Gear list
Like?
Sony NEX-7
Sep 8, 2011

I'm one full day of use short of being a full blown NEX-7 fan.

Had a chance to use one when meeting up with Sony and my overall first impressions were quite positive.

Critically- The NEXIE is a different beast in its layout and menu style execution but overall I got the impression that it's malleable and quite workable- especially when compared to other NEX models I used long term in the past (3/5). Not much to complain about for a camera like this at all. In fact, the NEX-7 might just be the Trojan Horse in the camera industry.

Using it with the Zeiss 24mm f/1.8 sent my heart aflutter - this is a pair matched better than any I can think of in recent times. Yep it's expensive, but I really don't think enthusiasts interested in high end rangefinders (a growing niche group) are going to care one iota, in fact, I think they will take pride in the duo as being a bit more expensive.

In short having had my hands on the NEX-7 only made me want to use it more- and after evaluating as many cameras as I have in the last 6 years- that is saying something good about the NEXIE.

This is a camera that not only seems to strike the "classic" strings , but also strikes the "hi tech science tool" strings in my heart. It simultaneously gives me the impression that it is both designed to be functional yet ultra high tech at the very same time.

I've never held or used a camera like it. I repeat, the NEX-7 is likely to be a Trojan Horse in the camera industry.

I see MANY of them making their way into a camera bag after they are opened as a gift left under the Christmas tree.

-Carl

P.S. I let Sony know there is a big desire for smaller lenses for the NEX system, and in the end of that conversation I came to the conclusion that it's not like they aren't aware of this desire/need. I was told that their lens engineers are at full throttle trying to keep up with designing lenses for both the Alpha and NEX systems. "That's fine" I said, "But the consumer wants smaller lenses now- maybe Sony ought to think about prioritizing that demand" I added.

http://photographic-central.blogspot.com/

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude; nothing can help the man with wrong one."
-Thomas Jefferson

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow