Started Sep 7, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Everlast66
New MemberPosts: 16Gear list
Like?
Sensor size affect on effective aperture
Sep 7, 2011

It is often commented that a cropped sensors result in a narrower viewing angle and respectively capture less from whats in front of the camera, i.e. equivalent to a higher focal length than using the same lens and a larger sensor.

Does sensor size also affect the effective aperture (and F-number) of a lens? (I assume yes, but this is never commented, people only mention equivalent focal lengths.

For example if I get a 50mm f1.4 full frame lens and use on a APS-C size sensor, I would be getting the equivalent view of a 75mm lens. Would I also be getting an equivalent aperture of, say, f2, as far as the amount of light and the DOF are concerned?

Does this mean that if I get the above lens to use on a APS-C size sensor I would only be getting an F2 (or F2.8 or similar) lens? Then what about a F2 lens designed for a cropped sensor, would we be getting the same result as of F1.4 designed for full frame?

Everlast66's gear list:Everlast66's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN HD Pentax DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow