Started Sep 7, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Jamil Abbasy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,260
Like?
2011 Mac Mini Server Hard Drive Options
Sep 7, 2011

After tons of research online and talking with several people at the Apple store (many who have no idea what they're talking about), I have decided to buy a 2011 Mac Mini Server quad core i7. I was initially planning to wait for the Mac Pros to come out, but have decided that for the extra speed isn't worth the $1000+ price tag. Instead I can upgrade the Mini with SSDs and Ram to 8GB. I'm not a professional photographer, so I can wait the extra minutes for Lightroom to import and render previews or for MPEG Streamclip to transcode video files.

The question I now have is regarding the internal hard drives. Is it worth upgrading to this option:

750GB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200 rpm + 256GB Solid State Drive

The way I look at it is that I'd get a fast SSD to run the OS and applications and have one internal backup HD to go with my external HDs.

Also, the guy at the Apple store couldn't answer tell me if the OSX LION SERVER edition comes with the regular iLife suite of applications that I am used to using. (Regular Apple Mail, iCal, etc.) Can I simply ignore the extra feature that I won't be using?

Thanks!

-- hide signature --
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow