APS-C vs Micro 4/3 -- take a look at this, am I just blind?

Started Sep 7, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
shea241
Junior MemberPosts: 37
Like?
APS-C vs Micro 4/3 -- take a look at this, am I just blind?
Sep 7, 2011

For some reason I've seen a lot of Pro-NEX Pro-Entry-Level-DSLR anti-Micro 4/3 stuff lately, and while I understand some of the reasoning, I went to look at some actual comparisons and I'm a little confused.

Take a look at two Micro 4/3rds results on top, and two APS-C sensors on the bottom. Now, I know there are always minor caveats when comparing studio shots like this, but I still think this is interesting.

Is it just me, or do the Micro 4/3rds results both resolve more detail? At first I thought 'ah well yeah, the lenses on those APS-C cameras suck,' but take a look at the left curves of the coins, the leaf in the lower left corner. I would say that is bad interpolation, but the studio set-up said they were all demosaiced the same way. What's going on there?

And on to ISO1600:

Now, there's no arguing that in most naive cases, the APS-C sensors are going to deliver better IQ than Micro 4/3rds at high ISO values, but in this case, the disparity does not seem that huge. The E-P1 fares the worst, but not much worse than anything else. But holy hell, look at those jaggies again on the APS-C results. This has to be a defect in the testing, right?

I'm really curious.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow