Started Sep 2, 2011 | Discussions thread
Snapshott
Senior MemberPosts: 1,869Gear list
Like?
Re: Tokina 90mm? oldie, but a goodie...
In reply to DRode, Sep 7, 2011

DRode wrote:

Snapshott wrote:

You've not said what you want to shoot with the macro lens you'll pick up. That will determine if the 1:2 will be limiting to you. For me once the novelty of seeing how cool 1:1 was and started concentrating on composition I find I shoot more to 1:2 than 1:1. Others may differ.

Good point.

I have a variety of macro and closeup things in mind. Bugs and flowers are nice and I want a lens that is capable of that type of work but much of what I imagine is about texture and shapes up close, especially industrial and aged things. What draws me to want to shoot macro is creating abstract images using small parts of larger things.

Related to this is the idea that I find a candle wick more interesting that a candle or a leaf more interesting than a tree or a branch. I don't have any practical macro experience. I did some testing with closeup filters and discovered that I wanted to be farther away (hence 90-105mm) and I wanted a variety of magnification power choices. 1:4 might be right for one image and 1:1 for another. 1:2 looks like it will be close enough for most of the things I want to do and the PN-11 can get me to or beyond 1:1 when needed.

After much reading, I can't think of a better choice than the Tokina 90mm. The images are amazing. The bokeh is beautiful and the sharpness and micro contrast are the best I recall seeing anywhere.

-- hide signature --

I think it's a good choice for for what you want. Worse case is that if for some reason it doesn't work for you you should be able to sell it for what you bought it for.
--
Snapshott

Snapshott's gear list:Snapshott's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow