Started Sep 7, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
xxbluejay21
Regular MemberPosts: 337
Like?
Is the 50mm f/1.8 worth it??
Sep 7, 2011

I have a Sigma 28-70mm f/2.8 and am deciding whether I should get a 50mm f/1.8 lens. The thing is, I want to shoot pictures in lower light, but the reason I'm hesitant on getting a new lens is because:

1. I have a SLR-201 camera holster bag from Sigma. Only holds one camera/lens. I'd have to get a new bag

2. I'd have to get brand new filters for this lens as the 67mm ones on my sigma would not fit.

3. I'd have to buy sensor cleaning materials and worry about dust (No lens switching= no dust)

One thing to note is that people say that this lens is a lot sharper. I don't mind this at all. I'm not going to print my pictures and I'm not a professional photographer, so I don't think I need to worry out a tiny difference in sharpness.

The thing I am interested in (the reason I'm considering this lens in the first place) is the f/1.8 aperture. How much brighter is a f/1.8 aperture from a f/2.8? Does anyone have some picture/video comparisons they can find or upload real fast? If I'm taking videos, could I just bump the iso up 200 and get the same results? Is it worth the 300 dollars (Lens: 100, filters: 120, sensor cleaning: 40, bag: 35) for a little more light?

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow