Started Sep 6, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
JWest
Regular MemberPosts: 163Gear list
Like?
Choosing a small backup camera
Sep 6, 2011

I bought my Canon EOS 550D about a year ago now, and I've been carrying it and several lenses around with me everywhere ever since. I couldn't be happier with the camera in general, but I've decided that my shoulder needs a break now and again, so I want to buy something that's pocketable without sacrificing too much in the way of quality.

I've been waiting around for the NEX-7 announcement, but now it's here two things are putting me off. The main factor is the price, which I don't think I can justify for a second camera. Also holding me back is the lens selection - while some of the newly announced NEX lenses look beautiful, I'm after something rather more compact.

Looking around at what's available, I'm tempted by the Samsung NX100, especially when paired with the 30mm f2 pancake. While the lack of a viewfinder is a big drawback, and the lack of any form of image stabilisation also worries me, this camera seems like the best compromise between price, features and quality that's available at the moment - especially given how cheaply they can be had, with everyone getting excited over the new NX200.

I'm just after some opinions of whether this would be a good choice, or whether anyone has any counter-suggestions. I'd consider any of the mirrorless system cameras, or maybe even a compact camera if it seems more suited to my needs. I just need something that's as compact as possible, but without giving up too much of the IQ, low-light performance and control of depth of field that I've become used to with my DSLR.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow