Extreme dynamic range

Started Sep 3, 2011 | Discussions thread
Mato34
Contributing MemberPosts: 875
Like?
Another one here
In reply to Iliah Borg, Sep 5, 2011

Using D7000 on a fixed scene with natural and constant light (checked it along the test), I took a properly exposed shot and then a complete serie from overexposed to underexposed shots. Then using Adobe Camera RAW and Photoshop tried to equalize result to that of the properly exposed shot (perhaps not the most scientifical accurate process, but just my main workflow process, and I was testing it to me).

Whole test in spanish is at: http://mato34.es/d7000/randin/12b-14b/index.htm (notice I was comparing performance between 14 bits lossy and lossless and 12 bits NEFs).

Here is the results for each exposure, a crop of the resized image to 1000x660 pixels (about Flickr photo...):

Could recover from about +2 EV to between -8 and -9 EV in the paper (with acceptable quality to me, given it's an small 1000x660 picture crop), so that would give about 10 EV usable DR. (But looking at the shadows and considering we will have highlights and shadows in our scene, I won't want to pull up shadows more than 6-7 EV to get a good result, I think).

Saludos.

-- hide signature --

Please, excuse my poor english...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
CoolNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow