What would a mirrorless camera from Nikon need?

Started Sep 5, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Dave Lively
Senior MemberPosts: 1,427
Like?
What would a mirrorless camera from Nikon need?
Sep 5, 2011

What people want from the upcoming mirrorless camera came up in a previous thread. I would like to ask two slightly different questions. What do you think such a camera would need to succeed in the market and would it need to have for you to buy it? Assume it will have a crop factor of 2.5 to 2.8, have PASM modes available and offer RAW as an option. Here are my lists in order of importance. All focal lengths are 35mm equivalent since the crop factor is just a rumor at this point.

To succeed in the market:

1. Be noticeable more compact than m43, NEX and NX cameras with kit zoom attached.
2. Competitively priced.
3. Small, low cost, kit zoom somewhere in the 28-90mm range.
4. Stylish design
5. Excellent results in full auto, no thought required mode
6. Excellent JPEG engine
7. Excellent video. I do not know enough about video to be more specific
8. Better high ISO performance than a compact
9. Fast and accurate focus
10. Low shutter lag
11. Available superzoom in the 28-300mm range
12. Better dynamic range than a compact
13. Available fast (f1.4-2.0) compact prime between 35mm and 50mm

14. Good user interface with quick access to most commonly used functions in PASM modes
15. Built in flash
16. Low cost, light weight kit telephoto zoom in 80-300 range

For me to buy it:

1. Be noticeable more compact than m43, NEX and NX cameras with kit zoom attached.
2. Reasonable price
3. Better dynamic range than a Canon S95 or similar compact

4. Small kit zoom somewhere in the 28-90mm range. It would not have to be fast but must be sharp all the way to the corners and have good contrast. If stabilization is not in the body this lens must have it.
5. Accurate focus
6. No visible noise reduction at base ISO

7. Good user interface with quick access to most commonly used functions in PASM modes
8. Better high ISO performance than a compact
9. Fast focus
10. Low shutter lag

11. Light weight telephoto zoom that goes out to 300mm. It would not have to be fast but must be sharp and have good contrast, even at 300mm. If stabilization is not in the body this lens must have it.

While I want this camera to replace my compact it would be nice if it could replace my SLR too. Given the limitations of the smaller sensor and lack of space on a compact body for physical controls I doubt this is possible. But I leave my SLR home so often due to its size and weight I might someday end up just using a mirrorless camera despite the shortcomings if it has better IQ than I am expecting and could meet these additional requirements:

1. The option of buying a larger but still fairly compact body with a really good EVF, at least 2 control dials and some buttons.
2. Available fast (f1.4-2.0) compact prime between 40mm and 50mm
3. Full compatibility with Nikon’s CLS flash system
4. Macro lens with decent working distance.
5. Available good quality telephoto zoom or prime that goes to 400mm+
5. Available ultrawide zoom or prime

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow