Butterflies with a Canon 180mm macro

Started Sep 3, 2011 | Discussions thread
Adam Filipowicz
Regular MemberPosts: 377Gear list
Like?
Re: Butterflies with a Canon 180mm macro
In reply to SM7, Sep 5, 2011

This lens is amazing.. its so sharp and its also great for portraits.. its slow focusing unfortunately which can be frustrating. but when used properly and with patience really pays off... I use to have the Canon 100 Macro 2.8 USM (non IS) and I enjoyed it.. it was quite sharp. but i found i wanted more working distance from my subject as i was scaring bugs away.. I use to have a 70-200 2.8 Non IS with a close focusing filter and that worked well but didn't give me the magnification i was hoping for.

I would suggest for your budget you pickup a used 100mm macro.. The newer one preferred.. I'm sure the IS helps a lot.. but either will produce nice results

I hope in the future to Try out the Mp65 lens.. But i heard thats in a different class in itself.. so ill keep working on my technique with the 180

wish the 180 was stabilized

Here is a picture of my setup

-- hide signature --

View my gallery here http://www.filipowicz.ca
Canon 40D
Canon EF 180mm F3.5L USM Macro
Canon EF 50mm 1.4

Adam Filipowicz's gear list:Adam Filipowicz's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 180mm f/3.5L Macro USM Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.5 1-5x Macro +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow