Started Sep 4, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Spazmedia
Regular MemberPosts: 172Gear list
Like?
a77 video bitrate at 1080p 60fps 28mbps
Sep 4, 2011

Just had a look at the preview videos for the a77. While the camera looks great, I'm not too impressed with the video it produces (or the sample jpgs either but that has been discussed at length).

What I see from these videos is compression artifact, lots of it. At 1080/60p, 28 mbps does not seem to be enough data, at least with the compression they are using, to do quality video. It could be an question of what codec is used to decompress the video. The media player in Windows 7 opened the mts file without problem. However when I use Quicktime to open video files my Canon 7D, the quality is much better than with Windows Media Player.

To put it into perspective at the maximum bitrate for the a77, each frame has a size of approx 60 KB while an uncompressed 1080p frame with 8 bits per channel is about 6 MB ...

Those looking to new line of Sony cameras to do 1080p at 60fps I fear will be a bit dissapointed. Even their new large sensor pro video camera, the NEXFS100,
uses the same codec.

Spazmedia's gear list:Spazmedia's gear list
Nikon D100 Canon EOS 7D Sony Alpha NEX-6 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS +6 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow