Nikkor 70-300 VR on D7000 or D5100 ?

Started Sep 1, 2011 | Discussions thread
Rens
Senior MemberPosts: 1,456Gear list
Like?
Auto ISO on D5100 ? and aperture in Live View
In reply to jonikon, Sep 4, 2011

jonikon wrote:

The copy of the 70-300G VR that I have is only "acceptable" on my D7000. Maybe I have a bad copy, but that is my honest opinion of the lens I have. You really have to stop it down to f8 to be reasonably sharp, especially at 300mm and the contrast is not that great either.

On the D5100 my copy turns out to be pretty good, at least at 200mm f5.6. Just a bit of pp brings it very close to the D700 at 300mm, also f5.6.

I should of course have taken shots with the D5100 at 300mm, but I was fixated with the idea of comparing with the D700 and forgot.

This time I took 24-120 VR and 14-24 lenses to try, and both work fine on the D5100.

I liked the camera, didn't find many features lacking that I use much. The only quirk that troubled me was the auto ISO. This seems to work only on some of the effects modes and not on the aperture priority I use. Is this correct?

The dpreview review seemed to be saying that going into live view locked the aperture, but I didn't find this. Maybe for video, but I shoot only stills. Or did I miss something?

-- hide signature --

Rens

There are optimists and there are realists

Rens's gear list:Rens's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow