Started Sep 2, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
RicksAstro
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,297Gear list
Like?
EV1S impressions
Sep 2, 2011

Just got the EV1S today and tried it out on the 5N. I also have a Panasonic G3 to compare it to.

The colors are definitely better on the EV1s and the view is a little crisper in daylight. Not as dramatically better as I may have thought, but still excellent. The EV1S showed a little more moire/interference jaggies on patterns though.

I have a prominent brow and biggish nose (and am left eyed) and I definitely prefer the EV1S/5N combo over the G3. My nose barely touches the screen and, luckily, it disables the touch screen when you put your eye up to the viewfinder (I got a few "operation can't be performed on this screen" when my nose hit just before the eye detector). Love the higher vantage point so I can open my right eye and get more situational awareness. I took the 5N+18-200_EV1S to a HS football game and really enjoyed using it at full telephoto...much more stable. It actually makes this combo look less ridiculous than without the viewfinder...balances it visually.

This evening in a dimly lit room, I compared the 2 (one with one eye, one with the other simultaneously). In the dim situation, the G3's viewfinder was brighter with less noise, albeit a little more washed out. I much prefered the G3's view here, although it was a little more laggy...I'm assuming they lowered the framerate more than Sony to get a brighter scene.

Anyway, I'd say in normal use, the EV1S will be a little better, but it's a bit ugly in low light. Love having it on the camera, and will likely leave it on most of the time. It's similar to Olympus' add-on pen EVF, although this one actually locks onto the camera as opposed to the Olympus and looks a little less dorky.

-- hide signature --
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow