Started Sep 1, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
James Pilcher
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,812Gear list
Like?
The new 14-42mm "R" kit lens - less than stellar
Sep 1, 2011

Well, I've had a chance to look at several hundred photos that the new Olympus m.Zuiko 14-42mm "R" kit lens produced on my E-PL3 over the past two weeks. Bottom line: I'm extremely spoiled by classic 4/3 Zuiko HG and SHG lenses. I must stop down this kit lens about two stops in order to provide results that start to compare with what my classic 4/3 lenses gave me nearly wide open. What this means is that, at 42mm, this lens really doesn't get sharp until around f/11. On the bright side, I was beginning to think that this camera is soft. It's not. When the lens is stopped down, the images are very crisp and contrasty. The camera is capable of great work. The lens must be coaxed and coddled to produce great work.

OTOH, the lens does focus really really fast and accurately.

So, I'm in the market for some really sharp ยต4/3 glass. Suggestions? I knew there was a reason that I never explored SG glass when I was shooting classic 4/3.

Jim Pilcher
Summit County, Colorado, USA

James Pilcher's gear list:James Pilcher's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 +8 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow