Started Sep 1, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
GMussio
Regular MemberPosts: 193
Like?
Jumped Ship, Got a D7000
Sep 1, 2011

I used to be a Canon enthusiast owning everything from the 30D to the 50D to the 7D to the 5D MKII including the 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8, 50 f1.8, the 430EXII, and the 530EXII. Then, I had to go and get myself married :P.

Between the engagement ring and the wedding, I had to sell my gear. At the time I didn't think of it as a terrible move considering I didnt get hit that bad with deprecation (I was patient and held out till someone was willing to pay near the price of what a new one was worth) and I had just gotten a great job which worked me ragged (near 72hrs a week) and took me out of town for the majority of my time. Well, I got a new job that is strictly 40hrs a week but pays more and is alot more comfortable. Plus, I only work 4-10hr shifts giving me 3-day weekends. The extra time left me vulnerable to the camera bug and i knew I had to get back in it.

I purchased a Nikon D7000 with the 18-105 kit lens and a 50mm f1.8 (not G). I went the Nikon route strictly to see what it is like with my eventual goal being to go back to full frame. The D700 has been out for awhile and a new camera seem to on thel horizon. I figured that after the launch of the full frame I will wait about 6-7 months to see what the new flagship full frame cam can do and then think about staying with Nikon or going back to Canon (as Canon should have their flagship full frame DSLR out by then too). I have only played with the 50mm and so far I am impressed. For an APS-C camera, I do like the look and feel of the images. Getting used to the Nikon interface is a new experience. Not a fan of having the ISO button on my left hand, but it's no deal breaker. Keep in mind that I only went the Nikon route to try it out. I am no fan boy and I love both brands. Heck, even if I go the Canon full frame route again, I will probably keep this little guy since it packs a whallop for such a small body (though thankfully not too small).

I know this is a long thread but if you got to the end then I have a question. Any lens recommendations? I am not a fan of kit lenses but I do need a lens as a walk around for now since they still come in handy. I was thinking about getting the 24-70 f2.8 since that was by far my favorite lens but it behaves differently on an APS-C and for that price, I might as well wait for the full frame to come out so I know for sure which side I will stick to. I also like the APS-C lenses. Do they work on the full frame cameras? I know Canon's dont, but I heard that Nikons do. The 17-55 f2.8 is what I am leaning towards at the moment but at that price, I can buy a 24-70 f2.8 from Canon!!! However, I am open to any suggestions and if it's honestly worth it, I will take the plunge.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow