At the Crossroads - dump m43s or dump DSLR?

Started Aug 31, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
warrj
Forum MemberPosts: 99Gear list
Like?
At the Crossroads - dump m43s or dump DSLR?
Aug 31, 2011

A few months ago I bought a Panasonic GH2 with 14-140 lens with the long term intention of replacing my Canon 40D + 17.55 f2.8, 60mm macro, speedlite and also my Canon HV20 tape camdorder with a micro-four-thirds kit.

The problem is that a few months on I still much prefer the pics out of the Canon over the Panasonic. This could be down to the quality of the lenses involved. The Canon 17-55 f2.8 is widely regarded as being a stellar lens.

I still have an objective of having only have one system of camera + lenses. In order to complete the transition to m43 I'd need to buy the Panasonic 45mm macro, the 20mm f1.7 (to replace the 17-55 for low light use) and an external flashgun. This would likely cost me in the region of 1000 pounds.

The alternative would be to cut my losses with m43s and sell the GH2.

It's crunch time. Should I invest more in m43s in the hope/expectation that better lenses will produce better pictures or admit defeat with m43s and dump the GH2?

Anyone been in a similar position?

Any thoughts?

Julian.

warrj's gear list:warrj's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 14-140mm F4-5.8 OIS Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +2 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow