Started Aug 30, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
mynakedsoda
Contributing MemberPosts: 701
Like?
Nikon 50mm 1.2 AIS Samples
Aug 30, 2011

Years ago I sold one of the few lenses I ever regretted selling. Now I've finally got around to getting me another copy. Finding a Nikon lens is a very lengthy process for me. I tend to keep them a long time so I prefer ones with unique serial numbers or numbers that mean something to me personally.

The Nikon 50mm 1.2 AIS is a well known lens among Nikon users. It is unique in being sharp even wide open having been designed to be used the way most users want to use a fast lens. Even today it is still being sold new by Nikon and is currently still the fastest lens in the Nikon lineup. I have always liked the 50mm focal length on both 1.5 crop digital bodies and film slr bodies. Currently I have still have a 50mm 1.4 AI and a 50mm 2.0 AI as they are my other two favorite Nikon 50's. I've owned and extensively used also the 50mm 1.8E, 50mm 1.8D, and 50mm 1.4D. Even having plenty of 50mm primes I've always missed my 1.2. The build is typical of an Nikon manual focus prime. Solid with positive aperture clicks and a silky smooth focus feel. There is a relatively (compared to the 1.4 and 2.0 AI lenses) short focus throw but the feel is so smooth it makes it easy to fine tune.

Mounted on my Nex with a Fotasy G type adapter.

It has a massive front element. It really needs a lens hood to prevent flare from certain types of direct and indirect lighting (never gets bad but it is present) especially when used wide open. I always just lived with it before though as it never bothered me that much.

The following samples were all taken with a Nex 3 in aperture priority mode, vivid, 0 contrast, 0 sharpness, 0 saturation, and +.3 EC. Large jpg directly out of the camera. No post processiong. Original size files can be found here...
http://www.mynakedsoda.com/Other/Random-Tests/18477330_SfrdK8#1455823376_gBgn57j

All at either ISO200 or 400 and all at f1.2 as I wanted to start testing it at that aperture to make sure it lives up to my past copy.

So far it seems every bit as good as my previous copy. I think they will respond well to a little bit of post work.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow