ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
AMRinWFNC
New MemberPosts: 12
Like?
E-420 Beginning Tips & Tricks?
Aug 30, 2011

Hi,

So the wife and I have seen photography pushed to the background for the last several years, and I haven't even had time to do much more than skim the news at dpreview. She's been soldiering on with a Jurassic Olympus C-720UZ and getting nice results, but exercising any creative control with that camera is many menu clicks away.

I spotted a refurbished E-420 kit with 14-42mm and 40-150mm lenses at a decent price, so its on the way. I'd like my wife to get off to a good start with the camera, but I don't have a lot of time for exhaustive research in this forum. I'm hoping you folks can point me to some threads I need to read over.

I gather from a hurried read of reviews that the Olympus DSLR models behave at bit differently with respect to results versus shooting settings (e.g., contrast, sharpening, noise-reduction on/off/amount etc). Any pointers to threads discussing best-practice on these for the E-420 would be much appreciated.

While my existing CF cards will let us at least test camera operation, I think they'll be too small and probably also too slow, and will hold up camera performance. I admit to not having kept up with all the ultra, ultraII, extreme, and other buzzword bingo for describing card speeds. Any recommendations from 420 owners on what speed media I need to match the camera's write speed.

Finally, we're both going to a workshop soon on lighting, including external flash. I was trying to decide if my Nikon SB-26 could be used in the E-420 hot shoe (running the camera in manual, dialing in details to the flash and letting it manage the light). The flash is reported to have a safe 5.6V trigger voltage, but it seems like I need something that fits in the Olympus hot shoe socket, insulates away all the Olympus "system" contacts, and carries just the two for firing the flash to a hot-shoe to insert eh SB-26 into (so that none of the Nikon "system" pins get shorted). Does this seem correct?

Thanks for any pointers to further reading or tips!

Alan Roberts

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow