85/1.8 Does US Pro Cyling Challenge

Started Aug 28, 2011 | Discussions thread
Road Lice
Junior MemberPosts: 27
Like?
Re: 85/1.8 Does US Pro Cyling Challenge
In reply to verybiglebowski, Aug 30, 2011

Practice your motion blur technique on cars on a city street that are going about the same speed as a bike racer. The same rules for motion blur apply to cars and bicycles. Your best motion blur is when you are at 90 degrees to your subject. Practice your stance and turning technique for tracking and then shooting at 90 degrees. Turn your body and not your feet. It's easier to shoot wide until you get good at it. Even when you are good at it most of your shots will be throwaways. You have to shoot a LOT to get one good motion blur shot of a cyclist in a bike race.

Your shutter speed will depend on where you are on the course (ie how fast the cyclists are moving). You will have to do a few test shots while you are in place at the event. Criteriums are good races to practice.

I don't see why an 85mm lens on a crop body would be a disadvantage for bike racing motion-blur. You may have to move back further than you think, however. I shoot track races and road races (including motion blur) with everything from 24mm to 200mm lenses. If you are close enough and can use a 35mm or 50mm you can make your motion blur shots a bit easier to snag. I like the long lenses for bike racing stop-action shots though.

You can use a tripod with a video head but it's usually a lot easier to shoot handheld at a bike race.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow