Started Aug 29, 2011 | Discussions thread
DHFore
Contributing MemberPosts: 649
Like?
They're all nice.
In reply to BS5D, Aug 29, 2011

But if you're looking for some critiques, then here they come

BS5D wrote:

Just got back from a wonderful trip to Cornwall and captured these images.

Landscape photography is a new pursuit to me so please be constructive with criticism - still learning how to use filters etc for capturing great landscape shots!

I'm very keen to improve my skills in this area of photography, so will be grateful for any opinions on the images.

Many thanks
Martin

I gather you either A. used a grad filter or B. did some post image processing work via blending. Either seems readily apparent where the water meets the horizon, and the island is darker than I'd expect it to be. Nice image, clouds are great, foreground is so so, there's not much interest up front.

It's a pleasing image, that's been done to death unfortunately. Like the placement of the boat within the composition, and the sails are interesting graphically. The clouds are not ominous enough to stand out, the lighting is ok. Not enough impact in the image to make it stand out beyond "pleasing."

To me this is the most average of the lot. Nice image, but the lighting isn't too great (seems like late morning/afternoon muted light), The composition is fair. I would have liked to have seen more of a separation of the foreground rock and the background rock. Right now there is a sliver of water separating them...a few steps to the right and you would have opened up that space. The foreground is bland, there's nothing there that captures you and moves you into the image.

Of the 5 presented, this one is the one I like the best. The pastel colors are fantastic, the light is really nice. Love the long exposure to create a sheen over the water.

I might have gone to the next rock outcropping on the right side ahead of where you were standing, would that vantage point separate the rocks in the sea from the shore? They merge into the foreground and right coast as composed...there needs to be some separation from the dark right side which might lead to a more impactful image (course, I don't know what's going on behind that middle rock outcropping so moving up to that point may not help).

To me, that outcropping of rocks in the sea are the central focal point and they need to stand out from the right side more predominantly.

Finally, this image is well done. You have a good center of interest in the building. The clouds in the sky are nice, break up the sky space and the land mass on the left is a good counterbalance to the architecture.

The detail in the grasses in the foreground is more interesting than the former images, thus I like what you've done here.

Overall good work, just some food for thought going forward.

Regards
Dave

-- hide signature --

They tell me I have to type something sensible before I can post. I sure hope this works.

My Photoblog-- http://www.flickr.com/photos/DHFore/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow