Sony A77 sensor disappointing – update photos!

Started Aug 29, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Ma55l
Contributing MemberPosts: 805
Like?
Sony A77 sensor disappointing – update photos!
Aug 29, 2011

I have previously posted here regarding what I think is a problem with the 24 MP sensor in the A77 and included side by side comparison photos.

Folks have said that the RAW performance is much better than JPG and I should use those for comparison. I don’t think so in this case. In regard to that I have made two composite side by side photos for your enlightenment using RAW images from the A77. Feel free to interpret these results as you wish.

The first is an A580 image at iso 1600 in JPG on the left. On the right is the A77 iso 1600 image in RAW. These are 100% crops and have no other manipulation or processing so that the A77 image will appear larger. Look at the fine detail in the green fabrick as well as the flower and stem images. See if you think that there is smashing, smudging and pinching of the detail. Remember here that the A580 16 MP sensor image is a Jpeg and the A77 is raw from a 24 MP sensor.

The second set is from the same images (A580 in Jpeg on the left and A77 raw on the right) However I downsized the A77 image (in Photoshop) for a better direct comparison. No other processing of any kind was done.

I feel that these images show that the 16 MP APS sensor in the 580 does a far better job at Image IQ/fine detail with JPEG at iso 1600 than the A77 sensor - even in raw and either unprocessed or downsized. My point here is that at 24 MP on an APS platform, the pixels are too small to have any manipulations (as in noise processing at high iso) performed without adding intense smearing, pinching and smudging of detail. That translates to low IQ for the sensor in my book.

Again you are welcome to draw your own conclusions about the differences in the images.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow