HAbba
Contributing MemberPosts: 505Gear list
Like?
Re: Any 28mm f/2 lens recommendation?
In reply to pabloman, Aug 29, 2011

Hi,

I have owned the following:

Canon FD 28mm f2.

• Pros: Close Focus Distance - 0.3m, Fast f2.0 and lovely manual focus feel.

• Cons: It had a strange white-ish Haze (inner glass had bubbles). Its big with the adapter on the NEX. Colour/Contrast not as good as the Voigtlanders.

• Cost: £150 (have sold it now for similar value)

Voigtlander 28mm f1.9:

• Pros: Lovely Contrast and sharp pictures (when I first bought it I thought there was something wrong (sharpness) but it was my inexperience in it use). Fast lens, good build quality with clicks of the aperture ring.

• Cons: Close Focus Distance - 0.7m and Cost: £310 (sold for similar amount). Bigger then the Voigtlander 35mm f1.7 (see below)

Voigtlander 35mm f1.7:

I have sold the above two lenses and settled for this one (for now) - will sell when the zeiss 24mm reviews come out and cost is affordable.

• Pros: smaller then above two, marginally faster (f1.7) and I got it cheaper (£210). Similar in contrast and sharpness to the voigtlander 28mm f1.9.

• Cons: I hate the close focus distance 0.9m - very hard to use in enclosed spaces e.g. in a car or of sitting next to someone. This becomes worse on a camera like the NEX where you don't have a view finder so you have to add another 20-30cm for arms length.

For all the above I miss auto focus. This is usually necessary when you hand over your camera to someone else to take a picture and they don't know where to start.

In summary - the Voigtlander's tradeoff in achieving smaller size, contrast and sharpness is at the cost of close focus distance (and price). If you can save up for the zeiss consider it.

Regards

Hassan

HAbba's gear list:HAbba's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Samsung NX100 Canon EOS 650D Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow