Started Aug 28, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jitteringjr
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,017Gear list
Like?
85/1.8 Does US Pro Cyling Challenge
Aug 28, 2011

So the Final stage of the US Pro Cycling challenge rolled past near my house so I took the 85/1.8 and 7D out for the ride. These are all jpeg only. I shot some RAW only too on other laps but I was getting a higher burst volume in jpeg so I wanted to give that a try too.

CC appreciated as this was my first race with a real camera. I have only used P&S until now at a cycling race.

I'm not sure who the Radio Shack guy is here. A little help?
F2.5 ISO 100 1/2500"

My main man, Jens Voigt protecting Frank Schleck. I was very happy to isolate Jens out of the pack from behind the camera.
F2.5 ISO 100 1/3200"

He is a little front focused, but here is Frank Just behind Jens.
F2.5 ISO 100 1/2500"

Levi proved especially hard because he got so low that his face was in shadow and thus underexposed. I had my 430EX II with me but didn't mount it because I was worried about it not keeping up with the 8fpm. Now I am kind of wishing I mounted it for a couple of the 6 laps. Some fill would have been great here.
F2.8 ISO 100 1/2500"

Shoot the Shooter Challenge
F1.8 ISO 100 1/6400"

I tried some small aperture shots to try and get some wheel motion blur in the shot with my 24-105, but they didn't turn out too good. I did get some good ones with the 24-105 wide open that were good too, but only at F4 and F4.5. I need to work on that technique to get more wheel blur.

jitteringjr's gear list:jitteringjr's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM +5 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow