Started Aug 28, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Ran Plett
Contributing MemberPosts: 941
Like?
Zeiss 24mm 1.8 samples
Aug 28, 2011

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/carl-zeiss-sonnar-e-f-1-8-24-za-t--sample-photos-17255

At that price point, and given that it's a Zeiss lens, I am expected a lot better image quality (at wide apertures). This seems to be one of the week points about the NEX system. I don't know much about the system because I'm coming from the dated and recently bastardized GF series.

But one thing that Panasonic seems to have under control is there lens selection. For starters, their 40mm prime is really good even wide open at 1.7. And it's a pancake lens, so it's tiny. They also have a 28mm lens (in 35mm terms) that is also very small, and a new zoom lens that is incredibly small.

Now I was really excited to see the NEX 7 and all the promises that have been made, and I hope that it delivers. I was also REALLY excited about the Zeiss 24mm 1.8. But the thing is huge! What's the point of having a tiny little camera with such a big lens? Especially when other lens makers are creating high quality glass at such a small size.

At this point, based on the quality of those samples, I'd probably just get the NEX7 and the 16mm 2.8 prime, because the of it's appropriate size. The price is also a lot more attractive.

Am I just spoiled by Panasonic lenses? Or are those just pre-production JPGs that don't really tell the whole story? What are you thoughts?

-- hide signature --
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
LoCANew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow