Started Aug 28, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Sivashankar
Junior MemberPosts: 47Gear list
Like?
Please help me decide on my first DSLR!
Aug 28, 2011

Hello. I've used an EOS Rebel film SLR camera several years ago without even understanding what an SLR was. After taking a few hundred shots I lost interest.

I bought a Canon SX1 IS a couple of years ago for its excellent manual controls, RAW, great zoom, and 1080p video. Unfortunately, I quickly outgrew it. Noise was unbearable beyond ISO 200 and one of the things that really interest me - long exposures - was severely limited. It's incredibly slow to focus, starts up very slowly, and drains the 4AA batteries after about a couple of dozen shots (with in-built flash).

I have been thinking of replacing it with a new DSLR. After many months of research and reading, I found that I liked 60D and D7000 and they fit in my budget. Strange as it may seem, in India, 60D is dearer than the D7000 by about USD150! As the cost of these cameras are more than a month's salary, I'll be using my next camera for at least 5+ years.

So, here are my questions! I'll greatly appreciate any responses to these questions.

1) I really like the swivel screen on my SX1 IS - especially when shooting videos of my 1.5 years old daughter. Shooting at her eye level brings out a perspective of the world as she see it. From your experience, will I miss the swivel screen in D7000? (Note: I don't quite like the feel of the D5100 and its lack of wireless flash sync)

2) What is the best starter lens? I'm thinking of something between the kit lens 18-105 VR, 50f1.4 D, or simply a 50f1.8D (and use up the difference towards a decent flash). Given that I'm coming from a super zoom, I fear that I'll find a prime too restrictive. Or, would you suggest a Tamrom 17-50 f 2.8 non VC?
3) During shooting video, does D7000 auto expose by boosting ISO?

My photography interests: Casual everyday shooting, shooting my daughter in low-light (@ home), landscapes, macros once-in-a-while, and long exposures/light painting etc.

Sivashankar's gear list:Sivashankar's gear list
Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM +1 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow