ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
EXR
EXR
Senior MemberPosts: 1,437
Like?
ACR/Lightroom - Lens-profile for F550EXR
Aug 27, 2011

It is very nice to be able to shoot RAW with the F550EXR and be able to use the great engine of ACR in Photoshop or Lightroom.

But unfortunately, unlike µ4/3 for example, Fuji-RAWs don´t contain any lens-correction-data. And the lens sadly is even quite a bit nastier than the JPEGs show. Depending on the focal-length it can show some really funny distortions and bright CAs, so handling RAWs is not quite funny if you aways need a few minutes for each picture to even get close to the cameras JPEG. So lens-correction is pretty much mandatory for this camera, at least at some focal-lengths.

So I decided to try this little piece of software that Adobe calls Lens-Profile-Creator.

So after building a calibration-target of the size of A1 (not so funny if you just have an A4-printer and have to stitch them together ;)) I started shooting. Again not so funny when you try to match Adobes expectations to get the target as close to the edge as possible, without actually cropping it at 150mm equiv and above, especially when you realize that the camera is already correcting distortion somewhat in liveview, and there is actually much more in the frame

Well, at the end I had 16GB worth of RAW-files, 666 to be exact, shot at 37 different focal-lengths and at 2 focus-distances for each focal-length. So I guess there should be enough input-data for a decent profile. I guess a "normal" lens wouldn´t need so many shots, but there is nothing "normal" about this lens. It constantly swings between barrel and pincushion distortion when you zoom through its range, so I guess there can´t be too much.

My trusty Core i7-920 then needed 45min to convert the .RAF into the .DNG-format, which is needed for the Lens-Profile-Creater, as it just understands JPEG, TIFF and DNG.

After that and setting up the Lens-Profile-Creator it could do its magic and 5 or 6 hours later I can present you a working profile. It combats distortions and vignetting and almost all CA is gone.

Camera JPEG:

Uncorrected RAW:

RAW with automatic lens-correction:

Feel free to download it and make your RAW-workflow easier:
http://share-links.biz/_dlyygqlzcf3oc

Password: EXR

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow