Started Aug 27, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
technic
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,603Gear list
Like?
HDTV for photo display ?
Aug 27, 2011

maybe this is something for Open Talk, but I'm hoping to get some suggestions here because of frequent discussions of LCD monitors.

I'm looking for a new TV (monitor) because my old one (a big tube from Loewe) has given up and repair is probably too expensive. I'm not really interested in watching TV or movies, but after seeing image quality of some current HDTV's for photo display I'm interested in using it to display my images in a convenient way to family, friends and for browsing myself. So photo display quality (plus convenience for browsing attached USB stick, cardreader, PSD etc.) is primary, and TV/movie display is secundary for me. I will probably display from my Nexto PSD that has all my images.

The screen should be full HDTV, have at least HDMI and some analog video inputs, screensize around 40-42 inch due to space considerations, and price below EUR 1000 unless there is a really good reason to go higher (I'm hoping to buy an OLED monitor for even better colors, in a few years). I have seen some screens from LG (32LE5500/5510) and Loewe that had very nice photo display, and acceptable (not very intuitive) photo browsing. In general photo display on these TV's is much better than it was only 1-2 years ago in this priceclass.

One of the things that I would like (if it works well and quick) is the option to zoom in for images larger than screen size.

Does anyone have a suggestion what to chose, or maybe a reliable website that tests TV's with an eye for photo display? I already know FlatpanelsHD and Prad.de, but together these cover just a small percentage of what is available.

technic's gear list:technic's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +4 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow