Started Aug 27, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
brick33308
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,216
Like?
new G3 - first snaps and initial thoughts
Aug 27, 2011

My G3 arrived yesterday. I bought it to replace my GF1. The card slot on the GF1 broke so it was a great excuse to get a new MFT. I sold the GF1 on eBay with the broken condition fully disclosed and got $260 for it, and then I turned around and bought the G3 body only for $599.

My big gun is my Nikon D3 which I still adore together with some really great Nikkor glass, but I got the GF1 and now the G3 to lighten the load when traveling.

Below are 2 snaps, straight from the camera jpgs, using my Panasonic 7-14 lens. Image quality is fine - color rendition is accurate and the shots need no post sharpening at all.

In terms of ergonomics, because I came from the GF1, the G3 is a dream - love the grip, love the fold out LCD which is much brighter than the fixed LCD on the GF1 and actually usable in bright sunshine. And yet, it's really not much bigger than the GF1, and it still fits in my cargo pant pockets with the 20 pancake. Absence of an eye sensor doesn't bother me one bit because it's not my style to switch back and forth between LCD and EVF. And it's pretty easy just to slap the LCD closed which automatically turns on the EVF.

Basically I've got nothing but praise for this little miracle and am in the camp of those who prefer it over the GH2.

-- hide signature --
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow