Started Aug 27, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
This thread is locked.
IcyVeins
Senior MemberPosts: 1,342Gear list
Is Canon leaving the APS-C market?
Aug 27, 2011

One year ago Canon announced the EOS 60D, its last meaningful addition to the DSLR market. Since then it has launched two meaningless cameras (T3i and T3) eary this year, basically rebranded versions of their predecessor models with virtually no changes (the T3i got a swivel screen...wow...). Announcement week came and went with nothing more than a cascade of new compacts from Canikon and not even so much as a new lens. However Nikon at least has launched three new ASP-C cameras within the last year with updated sensors and other significant improvements, and now at least one of Nikon or Sony is dominating Canon at every price point from $600-2000 (at least). For the price of a T3i kit ($750 if you shop around), you can get D5100 or ($700) A35 kits, both of which easily outclass it. The T3 at $600 is a joke compared to the D3100. The 60D body is currently $900 but it gets smoked by the $900 A65 and the $1150 D7000. The 7D is down to $1400 from some vendors on ebay, but it's a pretty tough sell compared to the A77 and D7000.

There's pretty much no objective reason for anyone entering the entry level or prosumer level DSLR market to choose Canon over either of its main competitors, and that isn't even taking into account the erosion of the entire DSLR market share by mirrorless cameras. Guess who's soon going to be the odd brand out with no mirrorless camera to offer? All the "rumors" about Canon are about (also overdue) updates to its "pro" lineup, the 5D and 1D series. In fact I read from Canonrumors that they plan to split up the 1D line which suggests that one of those models might be a de facto 7D replacement. (1.3x APS-H and not full frame).

So basically all the signs seem to point to Canon phasing out of the consumer DSLR market and focusing on just compacts (which they do very well) and full frame (unremarkable but at least they are planning to keep pace with Nikon and Sony). Nothing has been heard or seen about replacements for the 7D or 60D. They may go through another iteration of the Rebel series with more barely incremental changes, just because there are so many suckers who will buy it purely on name recognition. But they've basically been boxed out of the picture in terms of technological relevance going forward, except possibly in the very high end (full frame) and very low end (compacts).

IcyVeins's gear list:IcyVeins's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W290
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow