Picture Style settings -- is there more to it than the 4 simple perimeters?

Started Aug 25, 2011 | Discussions thread
sethmarshall
Regular MemberPosts: 147
Like?
Re: Picture Style settings -- is there more to it than the 4 simple perimeters?
In reply to Henrik Herranen, Aug 25, 2011

Thanks for your input Henrik. And I appreciate the reminder about that Dynamic Range test.

I could assume a contrast setting would effect the curve in that test but double checking the perimeters on the default values of Standard, Portrait, Landscape, etc. the only thing they change is sharpness (not contrast). So yes, this would suggest something else is happening.

And Badbatz is saying I should try out the profile editor to see for myself... This white sheet by Canon http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/education/infobank/digital_camera_features/picture_style.do also seems to answer my concern in it's explanation of the Picture Style Editor stating it:

"is a software application from Canon that allows you to create your own custom Picture Style files. You can select specific colours and change their hue, saturation and luminance. This means that you can make some colours brighter, or darker, or change them completely. You need to work with the program for a while to understand the many capabilities, but it offers a new toolbox of tricks for creative phorographers."

Initially reading that same white page I didn't recognize the extent to what is happening here. At least to me Canon's approach to "Picture Styles" cause me to think all that changes are those 4 perimeters. Can't believe I've had the markII for so many years and never realized the extent to what I could have been doing.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow