Who Is Thinking Of Buying the E 50mm F1.8 OSS?

Started Aug 24, 2011 | Discussions thread
mynakedsoda
Contributing MemberPosts: 701
Like?
Re: I just don't like this focal length
In reply to EvanZ, Aug 25, 2011

EvanZ wrote:

Sony wants to sell this to people who would normally buy a portrait lens or a normal lens. They'll make more money, but the consumer loses out. Make a 70 mm f/2.0 OSS, and I'll buy it in a heartbeat (and a NEX camera).

Actually I think it's a smart move even though it wouldn't be my first choice either for a stabilized f1.8 prime. Mine would actually be a 60mm with 1:2 macro capability. I know you want that 70mm but look at how popular the 50mm focal length is across all camera lines with the 1.5 crop sensor. It provided enough background seperation and requires such critical attention to focus technique (even at a slow f1.8) that their will be the inevitable torrent of "Why Is My Lens Not Sharp Wide Open" threads from users that simply don't realize they are missing their focus point and the dof is supposed to be that small. I see anything longer than 50mm at f2 or faster as not for the average user, not a potential big seller, and more of a specialty or prestige item.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow