NEX-5N noise level!!! What sort of magic is this???

Started Aug 25, 2011 | Discussions thread
SageTCR
Regular MemberPosts: 421
Like?
Re: NEX-5N noise level!!! What sort of magic is this???
In reply to photonion, Aug 25, 2011

If these are shot in jpg (i could bet a few bucks they are). then Im 100% sure there are noise reduction applied to the pictures.

On the NEX-C3 theres no way to turn noise reduction off. Just "on" and "weak" while the weak setting still is adding heavy NR. Im pretty sure its the same on NEX-5N.

Its prolly a great sensor anyway, but i doubt ISO3200 shots looks like that other than in jpg with settings "off" as in "weak" as in.. pretty much NR anyway

If its shot in RAW with zero NR then its truly amazing!

photonion wrote:

It seems the discussions are monopolised by the arrival of the 'heavy artilery' NEX-7, but I just came across a noise level comparison between NEX-5N, C3 and several other cameras.

http://www.focus-numerique.com/test-1294/compact-sony-nex-5n-bruit-electronique-12.html

Well... it was known that the 16Mp sensor was category leading, but... what the hell??? Comparing 5N to C3 is like comparing two different sensors... 5N is vastly superior to C3 and they share the same sensor. It seems Sony decided to 'crimple' a bit C3 to justify the cost of 5N??? Or is it tons of noise suppresion algorithm? I guess we'll have to wait samples from final FWs to see. What is more, 5N is supposed to have 'lens correction'... Quite interesting as well.... CA, geometry, both? I don't care much about the add-on EVF, touchscreen or other bells and whistles of 5N (apart from AVHCD 2.0), but after this kind of high ISO performance + possibility for lens correction.... Quite tempting to upgrade my NEX-5... Add to the mix the 50mm 1.8 OSS and night shooting becomes a child's play I guess...

Looking forward to the first revies of 5N and the 50mm 1.8 lens

-- hide signature --

Pixelpeeper by nature

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow