Do people actually put their cameras in their pockets?

Started Aug 25, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
kuri
Regular MemberPosts: 162
Like?
Do people actually put their cameras in their pockets?
Aug 25, 2011

I'm Japanese and so I routinely follow this forum as well as several Japanese ones. One thing that I often notice here (and well, on other english-speaking forums) is the importance of every compact-ish camera to be pocketable.

For example, the Nex series of cams frequently bring up complaints of having too large lenses, making the overall camera not pocketable. There might be grumbles about this and that camera, and whether or not it's too wide to fit in a pocket.

I have never seen this being complained about on the Japanese forums. Over here in Japan, men and women alike always have some kind of bag/purse/backpack with them, either for utility purposes or for fashion. (Tokyo is very fashion conscious). It's just my guess, but most of the people here aren't putting their cams in their pockets, but rather either wearing a neckstrap as they walk around or simply stuffing the cam into their bag. Most often, the cam is inside some protective, fashionable case, which then goes into the equally fashionable bag

Personally speaking, even if I happened to be wearing pants with pockets able to hold, say a Fuji x100, I don't think the one-sided bulk would be that welcome....

So, not saying which way is right or wrong or anything, but I'm curious, why does it seem that over here (and other english speaking forums that I visit), that compact cams must be pocketable? Are people really putting their Fuji X100x, m4/3s/DPs/GXRs, in their pockets? Just curious!

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow