Cornwall M9

Started Aug 21, 2011 | Discussions thread
steveleicaman
Contributing MemberPosts: 641Gear list
Like?
Re: Cornwall M9
In reply to Osscat, Aug 24, 2011

Osscat wrote:

Without some idea of how one wishes to present it - some level of pre-visualisation of the finished print - a 2D image cannot invoke the same emotional response from those who view it as that which the person who produced them experienced when driven to record the scene with a camera.

I have lived here since 1960, I know the place warts and all, of all the places I have ever lived in or travelled through, on and off during ten or so of those years, I can not think of anywhere I would rather be.

2D imagery requires work to make it successful - the X100 is a neat idea but it is flawed in some ways with its gruesome menu system, no doubt forcing most users just to set the thing on auto.

I forgot to mention, the interior shot which you said you enjoyed (thank you), was taken with the X100. Personally I largely ignore the menu once I've set it up (just the same as I do with the M9). All the fuss over the menu is just that - fuss. In operation, any shortcomings are easily offset by the results. It's as easy to use as you need it to be. Maybe you should try it yourself rather than believing all that you read? I don't mean that unkindly or mean to be rude when I say that. I think it's a camera ideally suited to anyone who has experience of the M system.

A simple auto levels adjustment to some of your images actually adjusts the balance to something like the dynamic range I am accustomed to seeing.

For jpegs, the in camera settings have to be adjusted to suit the type of lighting and your preferences. This is particularly important when, as I said earlier, we have oodles of UV light, making for an over abundance of cyan and blue in the files. This phenomenon has the effect of sometimes capturing a misty appearance from light bouncing around off the minute water particles suspended in the air i.e; humidity, and so flattening the contrast.

RAW files are just that - RAW data unprocessed by in-camera algorithms - you actually have to adjust the image either by your own custom workflow in PS, Aperture, Lightroom etc., or by some third party image processing software sporting an auto adjust option.

There is little evidence of time being spent to frame the subject, composition is important - you did manage to get a bit of red in one picture, a classic example of a tip on 'how to add interest to a photograph' from an amateur photographer publication of yesteryear.

There was the seabird just hitting the water at the right moment but the boat was, unfortunately for you, poorly placed to add anything further to the image, unfortunately, what you experienced at the time is not reflected in the image.

I am unsure which images are from your M9 but if they are an example of this very expensive machine, they do not offer encouragement for anyone to go out and buy one. I have seen many landscape photographs made with the M9 and your images do not do it justice.

I admire your defense of our county but, I am sorry, your images do not help.

Best regards

Osscat
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hoglet

steveleicaman's gear list:steveleicaman's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Leica M9 Leica Summicron-M 35mm f/2 ASPH Leica Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow