Anyone interested in NEX 7 with adapter and K mount lenses?

Started Aug 24, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Rod McD
Senior MemberPosts: 2,312Gear list
Like?
Anyone interested in NEX 7 with adapter and K mount lenses?
Aug 24, 2011

Hi there,

The discussion in a recent earlier thread seems to be specifically about Sony's 24mpx sensor itself. However that may be, what do people think of the new Sony NEX7 as a serious photographer's camera given that it is capable of taking K mount lenses with an adapter?

My $0.02c worth.......

For this forum this is all about using K mount lenses on a very small high IQ body......... What are our options? Pentax has announced the Q, which is a world away from an APSC mirror-less camera. In this forum it seems that relatively few readers are interested in an ILC with a smaller sensor. No-one really knows whether Pentax will look at mirror-less models with an APSC (or FF) sensor. Ricoh has the GXR, and some people have predicted a possible K mount APSC version, but that would be some time in the future. Olympus and Panasonic models offer adapters to use K mount lenses, but are wedded to u4/3 format. Samsung's NX cameras are APSC and can also take K mount lenses via an adapter, but are presently limited by their sensor performance.

And now the NEX 7. It seems to me that Sony might have delivered a winner in pitching mirror-less cameras to serious photographers. We need to know more, but if the NEX 7 proves to be a good performer, it may be a hard act for anyone to catch up. The feature set seems to have more than made up for the deficiencies of the NEX 3 & 5. It won't suit everyone. I know that some photographers decry the benefits of mirror-less cameras with adapters and DSLR lenses (because there's no AF, or because fast and/or long lenses form the greater part of the size and weight). However, if you're a happy landscaper who travels light with two or three wide prime lenses, the NEX7 may be an option. I may consider one for use with my small primes for a light weight alternative kit to my DSLR. Travel and hiking etc..... I'll be reading the reviews with interest. Any other takers ?

Cheers, Rod

Rod McD's gear list:Rod McD's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Canon PowerShot G1 X Pentax K-5 Fujifilm X-T1 Voigtlander 90mm F3.5 APO-Lanthar SL II +6 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
$299New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow