PASM dial on semi- and pro Nikon bodies ? D300 awesome.

Started Aug 23, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
M Jesper
Contributing MemberPosts: 513Gear list
Like?
PASM dial on semi- and pro Nikon bodies ? D300 awesome.
Aug 23, 2011

So i had the pleasure of using a D300 documenting someone's 50th year on earth this weekend, and what can i say, i'm sold ! It came from a drawer and some dust over it with one bar of battery power left, but i used it all afternoon without a hitch. The control over it was beautiful, it did exactly what i wanted just by turning a few dials and only for reviewing did i need the lcd. The only time i visited the 'menu' was pressing the button by accident. Man i hope i have the patience to wait for the D400(or 800) to come out. Put me on the list. But enough about that.

I was just wondering, why is it that only the pro and semi-pro bodies have no PASM dial ? It's not that i missed it, because i put it on A and hadn't touched it after. But why the consumer bodies, and the D7000, why do they 'need' one ? Maybe to easily find the portrait/landscape/auto modes ? Any of you ever miss it ? It feels strange not having one physically as i've never done without, but i guess that button right next to the shutter might actually be faster to work with anyway, once used to.

M Jesper's gear list:M Jesper's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 400D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM Voigtlander 15mm F4.5 Super Wide Heliar
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow